This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Sickness Certificates

Illness that lasts a week or less does not require a certificate from the doctor. 

In this period you can fill in a sick certificate SC2, which you can obtain from the reception desk or from your employer or DHSS office.

If you are self employed this certificate is again available from the reception desk.

If your employer or your insurance scheme requires a doctor’s certificate to cover the first week of illness then that can be issued as a private certificate for which a charge is payable.

A receipt will be issued and your employer may provide you with a refund.

Illness that last more than a week usually require an NHS certificate known as a Med 3 or Med 5 for which you will have to see a doctor either at the hospital or at the surgery.

There is no charge for these certificates. 

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website